Friday, May 29, 2015

Tinker Tote


Have to make it.


Isn't that how all projects start? You see something that you HAVE. TO. MAKE. The tinker tote pattern is only available through a Craftsy class, which was not something I had done before. They are online, webinar type classes. After you sign up, you always have access to the class. The classes can be a little expensive fore my taste, but they are often on sale, so when a good one came around, I signed up!



I watched the first few segments right away. The video quality was great and since the bag is made using the quilt as you go (QAYG) method, which I  was completely new to, it was really nice to have a demonstration.

I printed the pattern and traced it onto my batting. I was ready to get going, all I needed were some scraps. So I pulled out my giant bucket and started digging. I found a few scraps that felt that they belonged in the bag, but that was about it.  I had a pretty specific image in my head of how I wanted to the bag to turn out and I wasn't willing to compromise. Discouraged, I put the project away.

My blank canvas awaiting inspiration in the form of sorted scraps.

Time passes.


From time to time, I would pull out the scrap bin with the intent of gathering scraps for the bag, but it just never came together. Finally, I realized that until the scraps were sorted, I wasn't going to be able to find what I was looking for.

The small stack of six scraps were all that I could put together before my scraps got sorted and they served as the color inspiration for the quilted panels.


Once I got my scraps sorted, I started working on my tinker tote and was completely obsessed until it was done.

Working on my layout of the bits and bobs.

Construction


The bag went together pretty easily. I made a few little bobbles here and there but when I had my two exterior panels done, I was so excited! They turned out just like I wanted, sort of low volume and soft but with little pops of color. It is hard to explain all the rules that I had when picking scraps for this bag. I don't have a lot of color theory vocabulary but as I read about it more, I realize that I apply a lot of color rules when I am sewing.

Making progress on my first panel.


Now that I had the perfect exterior panels, I needed to pick lining and binding. Ugh. Sometimes this is the worst.You need yardage, which means an expense that you only want to incur once. That last thing you want is to realize that you made the wrong fabric choice and have decide whether you put something sub par in your perfect project or, spend a bunch more money on something that you think will be more suitable.

Low volume, texty print for the lining.


I ended up with the I'm a Maker print from Art Gallery's Maker line for the lining and a small red floral print from Windham for the binding. This is the part where things got tricky. Even though I traced my lining from the same pattern piece that I used for the exterior panels, it was huge and did not fit in the bag at all. I think this is due to the shrinkage that is experienced with the QAYG technique. All that quilting sucks the batting together. I ended up just cutting away the extra fabric to get a good fit, and after having to piece in the interfacing for the lining because I couldn't find anything wide enough to save my life.

Close but not quite. I added little bits of interfacing to the top of the handles to make up for it.

And if that wasn't enough, once I got the lining together, it didn't fit at all!


Then there was the binding. I could tell from watching the video that Tara (the bag designer and class teacher), did not have the same perfectionistic standards that I do when it comes to binding. I could also tell since I would be fighting several layers of fabric and working around curves, that I was unlikely to be able to achieve the standards that I am used to when it comes to binding. Plus, I REALLY wanted the bag to be done at this point. So I forged on and I try not to look it or think about it too much.

On your left is what binding should look like. On the right is what most of the binding on the bag does look like.


The Finish Line


Overall, I am very happy with how the bag turned out. I really like the quilt as you go method and can see myself using for more bags in the future, whether it be with this pattern, or others.

The front. I love that I got to feature some of my favorite prints, like those red music notes!

The back. I love it this panel too! It was actually rather difficult to decide which one I wanted on the front of the bag.


Linking up!

6 comments:

  1. Super cute! Always the case...see something, gotta make it! Well done, you must be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this bag! And the lining you picked is perfect. I might have to check out that class... looks like a useful size.
    The tips you've mentioned will be helpful to anybody who decides to go ahead with the class! Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! This makes me want to pull out my scraps and make one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute bag! I hope you share this Sunday with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your troubles, but it's a great finish! Great colour choices. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete