Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Fireworks Quilt: Work in Progress

A Completed Quilt Top


Squee! It's finally done. Well the top is done. All 880 pieces. It is pretty glorious and I am very proud that I stuck with it. This project started a very long while ago, you can read a bit more about it here. I definitely got better at flying geese as I went and I learned the value of ironing without steam, which as a steam-a-holic, was a big deal for me.

As you can see, my points turned out pretty good.


I took the last few days before Tate was born off from work. I was scheduled to be induced on a Tuesday evening and decided the Friday prior would be my last day. If I was going to have to be induced, which I totally didn't want, I was at least going to take some time to myself before it happened.

It was totally worth it because I nearly finished all my in progress quilt tops! Meaning that I have six quilts waiting to be quilted. Oh boy.



Yesterday I made my first trip to Fabric Depot since Tate was born. They were having a good sale which I wanted to take advantage of since I needed a lot of fabric for quilt backings and bindings! Here is what I came up with for the Fireworks quilt:

Since I feel like the quilt is a little dark overall, I wanted something lighter is value for the backing.
The plum chevron print will be great on the back and I am going crazy with the
bright citron for the binding!

Now to decide how to quilt it. I hope it doesn't take me months and months but realistically, I will quilt my smaller quilts first so it may be a bit before I get to count this one completely done. For now, I will just bask in the glory that I no longer have any little pieces hanging around waiting to make their way into quilt tops!

Linking up with WIP Wednesday and Let's Bee Social!


15 comments:

  1. This is absolutely stunning! And I think your back and binding fabric is perfect. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Can't wait to see it quilted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your points are fantastic! Looking forward to seeing it quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive. I love all the saturated colors. Congrats on the new little family member. I am a bit jealous that you have a local fabric store that calls itself a "Depot." Sounds massive compared to our sew & vac shops with a bit of quality fabric in the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea. I think it is a full city block in size and at least half the store is quilting cottons! People (and by people, I mean ladies) come from all over the state to visit. It really is a very heavenly place!

      Delete
  5. OH MY GOODNESS! That citron for the binding!!! PERFECT! And what a gorgeous quilt. Sometimes it's hard to stick with something, but in the end it feels oh so good, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The grey makes for a wonderful background to the bright colors. It sets them off so nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing how you quilt it's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt top. Looking forward to see the final result.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that citron for the binding will be awesome! I like seeing these fabrics in this pattern- well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! I have always loved this pattern and hope to make myself a quilt from it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the new addition to the family. You are amazingly productive getting so many quilt tops right before having a baby. Love the colors in this quilt. With the solid background, I am sure the quilting will look stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the new little one! It looks like you made very good use of your time while waiting for his arrival. We used to call it nesting, but were usually referring to a frenzied housecleaning. Piecing quilt tops is much better!! I love what you picked for the backing and binding. And I know what you mean about pressing without steam. I just started doing that, too, and can't believe what a difference it has made.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love using grey as a background fabric. The colours you have chosen for the quilt top, backing and binding are all wonderful. Congrats on your new baby and good luck with quilting all of your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely colours and beautiful piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your quilt and the fabrics and the binding fabric is as gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete