Sunday, March 22, 2015

Nursery Reveal!

A Room for Tatum Noah Taylor




After a brief tussle over the idea of a dual purpose nursery/craft room, we set about re-arranging the house to accommodate my hobby AND our growing family.

We decided early on the bright green walls. Before we  knew if we were having a boy or a girl. From there I added colors, lots of bright colors: deep blue, orange-red, sunny yellow. Grey accents would calm things down.

Originally, the theme was hot air balloons and elephants. Mostly, because I had seen these amazing hot air balloons in Dundee, OR when we were out there on one of our wine tasting adventures with my dad. They were my reward for participating in the annual Thanksgiving pilgrimage despite not being able to partake in the festivities.



After this great start, I did a little more shopping and decided that my theme was too disjointed and narrow. I decided the remedy was to broaden the theme around the balloons to be an overall travel theme. This would also allow us to incorporate Buddy's love of airplanes. I don't know why I was surprised when he told me that he had a set of painted, steel airplanes in the attic from when he was a kid. I loved them and I loved the idea of incorporating them into the nursery. The new theme was winner!

Worried that the planes would get lost on the bright green walls, we mounted them on burlap and framed them in bright white.



With the planes and the hot air balloons in place, it was time for the fun stuff!

The Handmade Bits


When visiting the amazing Holly of Marshmueller at a craft show at Laurelhaurst school, I found this great print with the raccoon by Marika Paz. Since it wasn't a big print, I knew I wanted to do a mini collage. We added the wooden "T" but more was needed to complete the look.



I found the quote in a stamp pack that I had and knew I wanted to use that. I went looking for things to complement it. I ended up with this cute little windblown bunny from one of Cricut cartridges and am very pleased with how it came out.



The last piece to come about was the "EXPLORE" sign. Ingredients were: online inspiration, a Martha Stewart tutorial, scrap wood, Mod Podge, Cricut cut letters and a perfect map print paper.



The changing pad cover was made using this tutorial. Something went awry with my math/cutting and there is less fabric around the bottom than ideal but it is certainly functional. I adore this print and the fact that it isn't overly matchy with the rest of the nursery fabrics.



The overall look = LOVE




I was inspired by this pin to do the airplane, banner and clouds over the crib. I was very thankful for the applique foot my mom bought me last year for Christmas for my Bernina. It made creating the banner a breeze and gave it a very polished look.



The clouds are felt stuffed with polyfil and hand sewn with red embroidery floss.



I wasn't originally going to make a crib skirt, but after looking at buying one and discovering what a plain grey one was going to cost, I figured taking the time to do it was worth it. It also meant that I could customize it with Tatum's nursery fabrics.

Bizzy Kid Quilt

Last but not least, of course there had to be a quilt! Not out of the norm for me, I had purchased a large stack of fabrics prior to settling on a pattern. I was on the hunt for something simple and not too fussy, but also a little more than just squares and rectangles. The Bizzy Kid pattern from Cluck Cluck Sew, hit the nail on the head. It required a few additional store trips to secure all the necessary fabric but overall the quilt went together easily and most importantly, turned out exactly like I wanted.



The back on this one tripped me up a bit. I changed my mind a few times and ended up needing to stretch my yardage. Incorporating the squares to create the cross pattern allowed me to add some super fun prints and stretch my yardage. Win!




I know it on the big side for a baby, but I am looking forward to snuggling under it and reading Tate a story very soon!



Now all we need is a baby! With my due date looming, I know we won't be waiting too much longer :) :) :)


2 comments:

  1. This is the most perfect and most sweet nursery ever! I love how you expanded to a travel them and it is surely one that will grow with Tatum. Love your hubby's airplanes and that Bizzy Kid Quilt is just wonderful. Babies love bold colors.
    Whitney, thank you for visiting my blog. I'm very happy to meet you (Ahh... another dog fiend!)

    ReplyDelete