Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Big, Bright Granny Sqaures

Ahh!

There has been so much going on that I haven't been able to keep up.  The good news is that I have been sewing and getting things done!  I have lots that I want to share and I will start with this post, which sadly I began more weeks ago than I like to admit, so without further ado, here is a start to all things I have to tell you!

Non-existent Tote Bags

As I mentioned before, Jolene's blog was the first that I stumbled upon when I found her Granny Square tutorial.  I loved the design and periodically checked back to see what she was up to.  I am often inspired by her work and I have linked to a couple of different photos of hers in my Hopscotch and Onto the Next posts.  I didn't officially start following her blog, or any blogs for that matter, until after I started this one and discovered Bloglovin' (which I really do love, BTW).

I had purchased some small cuts of really brightly colored fabrics thinking I was going to put them into tote bags like these with different patchwork designs.




But, as so many things go with me, I was bored of making tote bags pretty quickly and they never came to fruition.  So I had these great fabrics and this awesome pattern, why not put them together?

I don't have any fancy quilt design software so I either draw on graph type paper and color with pencils or, if the design will allow, as this one did, use Excel.  Nerdy, I know.

Here is what my “sketch” looked like:


I couldn't put the blocks on point like I planned, but all
the color combos are there, which is what I was going for.


Working Away from Home


Before the Nicholls State game my dad asked if we would stay in Eugene on Sunday to help him put in a window.  By this he meant, would the husband help him put in a window, leaving me to entertain myself save the intermittent calls to "come hold this." So I made darn sure that I wouldn't be bored.

My dad was quite confused as I re-arranged a portion of his living room, but I came up with a pretty good set-up.  My ironing board was a TV tray with a towel on top so I was glad that I was working on small blocks. 


Yes, there is a dog hiding under the table.


Whilst my father commenced cutting a hole in his house, in his pajamas, I might add, I started sewing.  




I got a good system going and before I knew it, viola! All my blocks were done and looking quite bright and fun, just like I wanted!



Finishing Up


I added the sashing and finished the top in the next few days.  It turned out so stinking cute! 


I was surprised how close I got to my original design.


A close up of one of favorite blocks.




I have some fabulous Cuddle fabric for the back so I nervously tossed in the washer/dryer to pre-shrink.  Hooray!  It came out perfect so I gave it a good ironing.

Love the color of the Cuddle fabric for the back!




 This is going to be my foray into spray basting since I haven’t had any luck pin basting Cuddle.  It’s a love/hate thing me and Cuddle have going on.  In addition to that I have to decide on a quilt design . . . wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. GOOD LUCK!
    With your talent I don't think you will need it :-)

    I need your help, Please! With all your free time lets go fabric shopping.

    The Skull Quilt you made for me is so wonderful I am going to attempt a quilt for our new bed.
    King, thinking colors and a design to hide everything . I found a couple interesting patterns for your opinion.

    Shall we talk next week with a little ( or a lot) wine while the big bird is cooking?

    ReplyDelete